This tasty side dish from Sarah McClure of Southside Smokehouse is the perfect pairing for your holiday meal!
Approx ⅓ lb of brussels per person, with stems and any tough outer leaves removed and cut in half.
Good quality bacon like Nueskes or Bentons ½ strip per person
Balsamic Vinegar, 1/2 Cup
Olive Oil, 1/2 Cup
Honey, 2 Tablespoons
Salt, Pepper, and Granulated Garlic to taste (just a sprinkle)
For the Marinated Onions
Sugar – 1 cup
Apple Cider Vinegar – 1 Cup
2 Large Red Onions
- Slice onions into thin circles by hand or on a mandoline slicer
- Bring Sugar and Vinegar to a boil, turn off heat and add the sliced red onions.
- Set another pot or a plate with a weight into the pot so the onions are pushed down into the liquid and set aside
- Prepare your brussels by cutting off the stem and cutting them half, removing any ugly or tough outer leaves
- Using a large bowl, mix together the olive oil, balsamic, honey, salt, pepper and granulated garlic. Whisk until well mixed. Add brussels and toss several times to coat.
- Place on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake at 350 for approx 20 minutes or until crispy and dark brown on the edges.
- While the brussels are roasting, pan fry or bake your bacon, approx ½ strip per person. Once cooked to you liking, dice and set aside, along with any drippings from the pan.
- De-seed 1-2 large pomegranates (There are great videos on Youtube with various methods if this is a new task for you!)
- Toss the bacon crumbles with the pomegranates and the brussels. Top with a few rings of lovely bright pink marinated onion for acid and color.
- If you really want to punch this up, add some shavings of manchego cheese and a couple spiced pecans!