CONTRACT LENGTH: June 15, 2018 – April 15, 2019
REPORTS TO: Event Director
ROLE TYPE: Contract Role
JOB OVERVIEW: The Volunteer Coordinator shall be responsible for the oversight + management of all festival volunteers. In collaboration with the Charleston Wine + Food staff, the Volunteer Coordinator shall understand the volunteer needs of each event on the festival schedule and schedule volunteers as requested. This role shall assist with the scheduling of volunteers as needed for events + initiatives outside of festival week. Overall, the Volunteer Coordinator shall work as a brand representative for Charleston Wine + Food, and work to recruit and maintain a database of volunteers that can powerfully share what the festival represents and uphold our highest brand standards.
- Act as liaison between Charleston Wine + Food core team and the Volunteer Captains/all festival volunteers to clearly communicate needs for the festival schedule.
- Work with Event Director to create + execute a dynamic incentive program for volunteers.
- Powerfully communicate all information and required skills to volunteers in a timely fashion.
- Work with CHSWFF team to order, organize and collect all volunteer benefits.
RECRUITMENT + TRAINING EFFORTS
- Recruit the necessary volunteers and create dynamic partnerships in order to fulfill all volunteer needs.
- Work with Event Manager to hire, train, and work in partnership with a Volunteer Coordinator Assistant.
- Edit and create the Volunteer Handbook in partnership with our design team.
- Plan and execute Volunteer Orientation to share necessary information for volunteers to be successful on the ground.
- Identify and recruit organizations/businesses that could be great volunteer partners.
- Be available in person or through phone/email to answer any questions or adjust any scheduling conflicts
- Work with festival software systems to create the recruitment form, schedule, and maintain an orderly + up to date volunteer database
VOLUNTEER CAPTAINS MANAGEMENT
- Constantly liaising between Event Leads + Volunteer Leads
- Select and manage all volunteer captains through empowering them with the necessary information to lead and represent the organization in the highest regard.
- Must be available and fully present on site during 2019 festival week
- Organize volunteer check -in and placement each day of the festival, as well as, set – up and maintain the Volunteer Tent.
- Manage all volunteer placement throughout festival week and ancillary events and initiatives
- Organize and execute recap meetings with Volunteer captains and top-level volunteers.
- Analyze volunteer survey data and present Event Director with a summary of suggestions for improvement for next year.
- Write all necessary thank you notes + execute a thank you email to go out to all volunteers in conjunction with our Marketing + Communications Director
- Strong ability to work strategically and efficiently.
- Ability to multitask and work in a fast-paced, team setting.
- Well-organized, strong communicator, outgoing, and passionate about creating seasoned volunteers
- Curiosity and willingness to learn.
- Proficient use of G Suite and ability to learn and utilize our ticketing platform.
- Ability to successfully manage others.
- Must own a laptop that can run cloud-based programs, a mobile device that can download and run applications.
- Management or customer service experience encouraged but not required.
- Must be able to lift and carry 50+ lbs of equipment and other materials as needed.
- Act as a brand representative of Charleston Wine + Food and portray our values of people first, community, diversity and good stewardship
- Recognize and uses our higher purpose as a guide in every decision made on behalf of the festival: To be a catalyst for connections that inspire curiosity through thoughtful storytelling and meaningful experiences with a sense of place.