Reports to: Business Manager
Term: January 15, 2018– March 12th, 2019
The Retail Lead is responsible for supporting in the ideation, design and merchandising of the festival swag. In this role, you will support the Business Manager and Graphic Designer send the retail items to print, and then work with the Event Director to make a rocking floor plan for our retail tent space. Leading up to the festival, you will work with the Marketing + Communications team to help promote our retail through social channels and product test to festival talent. Not only will you get to help move some amazing merchandise, but you will also get to hang with some amazing chefs, as all of the cookbook signings take place within this tent space. You will also get to see some really cool wine makers, as the Wine Retail Shop is attached, and will have some really cool bottle signings happening throughout each day of the Culinary Village. Within the tent, you will be responsible to help make sure it is always staffed, being mindful of asset protection, and offering best in the world guest experience to everyone that passes through. Your duties will include helping to keep the tent clean and the retail looking beautiful, making sure to restock throughout the day. Upselling and the ability to suggest alternatives for sold out items is a must. You will be a part of the heartbeat of our festival, as the retail tent is in the center of Marion Square in the Culinary Village, one of our most highly attended events on the schedule.
Organized, ability to problem solve, creative and fashion-forward eye, pulse on the trends, Prior retail experience is a plus, great time-management, people-oriented, thrives in chaos.
- Assist with the ideation, design and ordering of 2019 festival retail
- Work with the Marketing Team on promotion of retail for 2019 festival.
- Connect with the Volunteer Coordinator in scheduling the staffing of the retail tent during the days of Culinary Village in Marion Square and offsite events.
- Connect with the Event Director + Event Manager on the layout and design of the retail tent in Marion Square for the Culinary Village.
- Lead the set-up of retail and merchandising the week leading up to the festival.
- Supervise the retail tent on all days of the Culinary Village
- Serve as the main point of contact for retail + cookbook signing tent, including communicating with Charleston Wine + Food Staff and overseeing volunteers.
- Serve as the point of contact with the book distributor on behalf of Charleston Wine + Food for the cookbook signings happening on site. Notify staff of both with any foreseen needs or emergencies.
- Assist with cookbook signing as needed
- Maintain the look and feel of the retail tent, and its scheduled programing. Ensure retail is neatly displayed and replenished throughout the day. Ensure all water, coffee, and additional areas are well maintained and replenished, if applicable.
- Ring up customers using Square/iPad technology or cash, acting responsibly for all payments accepted.
- Ensure that iPad and all cash is given to the Business Manager at the end of the shift each day.
- Keep record of all sales throughout the day.
- Report on cash amount at beginning and of shift.
- Answers any guest retail-related questions; direct guests to other areas if uncertain of answer.
- Be cognizant of potential theft opportunities and report any incidents immediately to staff and security.
- Ensure retail tent is free of any outside items (wine glasses, plates, etc.).
- Act as a brand representative of Charleston Wine + Food and portrays our values of people first, community, diversity and good stewardship. Recognizes and uses our higher purpose as a guide in every decision made on behalf of the festival: to be a catalyst for connections that inspire curiosity through thoughtful storytelling and meaningful experiences with a sense of place.