Recipe provided by: Rashaunda Grant, The Carolina Cookery
Rashaunda will be baking these Charleston Chewies live on IGTV as part of Charleston Wine + Food “Bite-Sized.” Gather the ingredients, review the recipe, and tune in live on Tuesday, March 16 at 8:00 PM.
If New York has cheesecake and New Orleans has beignets, then Charleston has Chewies. While they may be hard to find on most restaurant menus, I can assure they are a shining star at many Lowcountry family gatherings, picnics, and bake sales. This recipe is so easy + delicious, I’m sure your family will enjoy them just as much as mine.
SHOPPING LIST / INGREDIENTS
1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
2 cups self-rising flour
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
1/4 tsp kosher salt
Baking spray (or 1 tbsp each of butter and flour)
Powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees
2. Grease a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick baking spray or butter and flour
3. In a large bowl, combine butter and sugar until smooth and well-mixed
4. Add eggs one at a time and the vanilla
5. Stir in flour until smooth
6. Add toasted pecans and salt
7. Spread mixture evenly into a 9×13 baking dish
8. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown
9. Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares
10. Dust with powdered sugar and enjoy!